Quinoa Vegetable Chickpea Curry with Za'atar Pie

A few months ago, my husband and I were in Baltimore for a couple of nights for a conference he had to attend for work, and while we were there we ate at a little Mediterranean restaurant called "Zaatar".  The food was delicious! We ordered an item on the menu called "zaatar pie", which turned out to be flatbread with olive oil and lot of zaatar seasoning, broiled until crispy. So yummy! Since then, I've been making it for us to enjoy at home. It's very easy. Simply drizzle and spread some olive oil on a piece of flatbread (naan, pita, or whatever), sprinkle zaatar seasoning on liberally, and broil in the oven until it's nice and crispy.  


Zaatar (also spelled za'atar or zahatar) is a traditional Mediterranean spice mix that is usually made with thyme, oregano, marjoram, sumac, and sesame seeds. I love this combination, and I always keep some in my pantry.

One of my new favorite quick dinners is zaatar pie alongside a quinoa vegetable chickpea curry.  The first time I made it, I had some quinoa that I had made in my Instant Pot (I love that thing!) that I wanted to use. So I threw this together, and it was SO good.  And very simple and easy.  Just my kind of dinner.  Here's how to make it:

Quinoa Vegetable Chickpea Curry

Ingredients:
1 small onion
1 or 2 carrots
1 bunch fresh broccoli
1 red bell pepper
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can coconut milk
1 or 2 Tbsp. curry powder
cooked quinoa (the amount 1 cup uncooked makes, or a little less)

In a large skillet (I used my large cast iron one), saute the onion on medium heat for a few minutes.  Then add everything else except the quinoa and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.  Add the quinoa last, and cook until heated through and the desired consistency.  Water can be added if it becomes too thick.  
Note: I used the vegetables I already had on hand. Other vegetables can be substituted as long as the onion and some kind of pepper are used.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study With Me: The Connections Method

Hoshiana!

A Fresh Start